WHO WE ARE
AMIBA helps communities organize to build a culture of support for local entrepreneurs that helps independent businesses thrive, expands opportunity and increases community resilience. In addition to Independent Business Alliances ® formed explicitly for the purpose, we help many other citizen and business groups achieve these goals by serving as a communication hub, aggregator of best practices, mentor and support center.
BUILDING STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
• We help communities build a culture of collaboration and support that enable more resident-owned businesses to start and thrive.
• We are a hub advancing Independent Business Alliances® continent-wide that unite independent businesses, citizens and organizations to drive Shifts in culture, spending and policy.
• AMIBA develops leaders through strategic advising, networking, peer learning, and benchmarked organizational development.
• We build a strong, uncompromising voice to genuinely represent the concerns of independent businesses and communities and shift corporate-created paradigms.
TO DRIVE SOCIAL, ECONOMIC & CULTURAL CHANGE
• We inform people of the power their spending decisions have in shaping their communities.
• We provide extensive tools and guidance to help people drive local shifts of culture and behavior.
• We business owners and citizens to become leaders in building more inclusive, equitable, and welcoming communities.
• We build local self-reliance through helping people incubate, nurture and network Community-Owned Businesses to fill local needs and empower residents.
LOCALLY & NATIONALLY
• We built local advocacy into the Independent Business Alliance® model to help them enact positive, replicable policy and practice.
• We build a pro-community, pro-equity and pro-entrepreneur counterforce to bastions that push for greater corporate power and monopolization.
• We network local groups to build a pro-community, pro-equity and pro-entrepreneur counterforce to monopolies and runaway corporate power.
• We partner with allies to turn political platitudes of supporting small business into reality.
WHERE WE ARE
AMIBA works with communities of all sizes, circumstances and ideological leanings across the continent. Our affiliates include groups working locally, regionally and among people bound together by ties beyond geography, including Indigenous, Black and Latino Alliances.
WHAT IS AN IBA?
An Independent Business Alliance® works to build vital local economies based on independent, locally-owned businesses to help local entrepreneurs compete successfully against chains, online competitors and others.
IBAs unite locally-owned independent businesses, citizens and community organizations to achieve this goal.
WHAT IBAs DO
- Educate communities about local independents’ value and vital economic, social and cultural role they play
- Give local independents a voice in local government and media
- Enhance local investment opportunities, banking and access to capital for local entrepreneurs.
HOW TO ORGANIZE
- Contact AMIBA staff to learn who else from your area has been in touch.
- Engage in community conversations to learn the concerns and desires or your potential participants.
- AMIBA offers organizers’ checklists, suggested timeliness and guidance each step of the way to set you up for success.
WHAT WE DO
AMIBA empowers communities by helping people organize effectively while providing an ever-growing peer network or pro-local organizations. We change the way communities approach economic development: from attracting large corporations to helping local residents become (more) successful entrepreneurs while pushing cultural and policy shifts away from global corporatization and toward more equitable, community-rooted ownership.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ECONOMY
- Spending choices play major roles in shaping community — physically, economically and culturally.
- Buying locally increases local wealth, employment, cohesiveness, support for local charities and more.
- Independent businesses provide greater expertise, more personal service and often greater overall value.
BUSINESSES ENDING BIGORTY
AMIBA engages business owners and citizens not just to counter words and deeds that promote scapegoating and oppression, but to take the lead in building more more inclusive and welcoming communities.
We provide online resources, in-person trainings and physical outreach materials to help you counter the dark force of bigotry.
WHY BANK LOCAL?
- Community banks and credit unions have lower and less pervasive rates than big banks.
- Build wealth locally instead of exporting it to Wall Street.
- Expand opportunities for local entrepreneurs and create more local jobs.
- Keep decision-making power in your community.
FRESH FOOD & FRESH CHOICES
Hundreds of rural communities’ residents have no way to get fresh food without long drives while in countless cities, sudden increases in commercial real estate pricing inhibits local entrepreneurship.
The solution: community-owned businesses that address critical needs and build equitable local prosperity.
WHY WE DO IT
For generations, starting a business has been a path for people to gain freedom and improve economic security as America built its vibrant middle class. Global corporatization is undermining our quality of life, our communities and our planet. It’s a system not deliberately chosen, but one that we must consciously work to correct.
WHERE YOU LIVE
Providing an environment that enables local residents of all economic circumstances to launch and build businesses is the best path toward vibrant, equitable and durable local economies.
AMIBA helps communities implement programs that build both culture and infrastructure that nurtures local entrepreneurship.
State and provincial government policy is often the least-noticed, but plays a huge role in encouraging either opportunities for residents or favoring absentee-owned corporations.
As Independent Business Alliances spread, we continue to facilitate collaboration by local groups to shift policy and programs toward community-based businesses.
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT
As long as corporations are free to translate their economic power into political power that stifles market competition and enables monopolies, small businesses are undermined and opportunities for entrepreneurs are suppressed.
AMIBA works toward the day when independent businesses have organized to force politicians to turn pro-small business platitudes into meaningful action.
AMIBA provides reporting, commentary and profiles of successful initiatives as well as guidance on how to execute a wide range of pro-local business / pro-community initiatives.
Two new reports demonstrate the superior value of independents over chains and disturbing news on small business losing ground to large corporations. How can both be true at once?read more
To the growing list of business sectors in which neitral studies demonstrate independent businesses provide superior value, we now can add auto repair and maintenance. The February 2019 issue of Consumer Reports magazine presented results from a survey of...read more
Last year, the Consumers Union published research showing independent pharmacies consistently sold prescription drugs for less than any U.S. pharmacy chain (see Independent Pharmacies Save You Big Money Over Chains). Now a new survey of more than 78,000 people...read more